Transformative Leadership Expert and Futurist
Intense evolutionary pressures are causing one Fortune 500 company to be replaced every two weeks; whilst the average length of a company’s existence is dropping to just 7 years. With a Triple First Class science and philosophy degree from Cambridge University—and over 20 years hard-won experience advising exponential unicorns and ambitious blue-chips on the frontlines of disruption—Nick Jankel is a highly sought-after professional speaker whose life’s work is to ensure people have the tools they need to adapt to relentless change and the mindsets they need to successfully transform their organizations and themselves.
As a transformation guru, Nick was selected to host his own global BBC TV series; is regularly interviewed on AI, tech and creativity on international news; and has advised No.10 Downing Street and The White House. At the pinnacle of the industry, Nick is a virtuoso speaker who blows away audiences with cutting-edge neuroscience amplified by sticky ideas, concrete tools, and beautiful materials. He has delivered to rave reviews at LEGO, Google, NHS, M.O.D., Boots, BUPA, Schroders, Diageo, SAP, RBOS, Tesco, Wal-Mart, The European Commission, and Merck to name but a few.
With new research showing that transformational leaders deliver 6x the results of average ones, Nick’s talks help people become transformational so they can cut through the treacle that stops change and blast through the barriers that block innovation. He does this by sharing tools and thinking from Bio-Transformation Theory®, the fruit of 30 years committed effort. A transformational futurist, Nick does not just illuminate what the future may hold—from AI to blockchain to regeneration—but how people must respond to it creatively and confidently. Nick goes deeper than most to motivate audience members in their hearts as much as minds: he switches on people so they step up and embrace necessary adaptation rather than resist, retreat, and repeat old habits that sabotage success.
A genuine thought leader, Nick has talked at world-class universities including Yale, Oxford, SciencesPo, UCL, and London Business School; and his academic paper is in the top 1% of citations. His pioneering ideas on transformation have been featured in The Times, The Financial Times, The Sunday Times, and The Guardian; and he has been invited to share them at the prestigious Aspen Ideas Festival; the tech mecca TOA (Berlin); Wisdom In Business (AMS); The Economist Summit (SF); The Financial Times Futures (LDN); CHRO Summit (LA); and SciFoo (Google HQ). A prolific and talented writer, Nick is the author of a number of influential essays and best-selling books on personal and organizational transformation.
Nick set up his first company, aged just 24, to disrupt the marketing industry and grew it exponentially, without funding, to reach 50 staff working with big brands like Microsoft, Vodafone, Diageo, Unilever, Disney, and Shell on strategic innovation projects key to their future. Here he made his name as the innovation expert behind the creation of the most successful TV show of all time (BBC’s Dancing with Stars) and was named UK Ambassador for Entrepreneurship in recognition. By age 29, Nick had learnt the hard way that innovation fails if leaders do not have the skills and mindsets needed to transform their enterprises; and if cultures resist and repress change. He doubled-down on Bio-Transformation Theory®, fusing the very latest brain science with profound wisdom and practical psychology in hybrid innovation, leadership, and culture change programs that actually work (for companies like Novartis, Nike, HSBC, and Intel). Committed to systemic transformation as much as personal change, he has led systems change projects with orgs like WWF, Oxfam, FCO, NHS, Rockefeller, and Young Foundations and educated non-profit leaders and social entrepreneurs on 4 continents. Nick is Chief Executive of transformation company Switch On, which blends both purpose and profit; Chairman of pioneering next-gen sustainability constancy FutureMakers; and a Founding Fellow of The Academy of Professional Speakers.
Bio-Transformation Theory® consists of a world-class innovation process for transformational results; an extensive transformational leadership curriculum covering conscious, purposeful, creative, inspirational, collaborative and systemic leadership; 90+ proven and printable transformation tools to drive change across teams; and 40+ brainbased yet wisdom-wired transformation practices that have inspired over 5 million people through TV shows, books, cutting-edge meditations, and more to heal their pain, shift baseline moods, think new thoughts, and break and make habits as fast as humanly possible. If requested, Nick can provide audiences with take-away tools and include experiential exercises that start the change happening today. He customizes every talk to help deliver on your ambitions and is always keen to add value for a win-win-win.
The Virus is VUCA! Rapid Adaptation In Radical Uncertainty
• Why there are more crises to come: 2nd waves & Tsunamis • Understanding risk vs uncertainty • The two brain modes for risk and uncertainty • Decision-Making with incomplete data in chaos & complexity • What We Can Learn From Backgammon • The 6 Spirals of Transformational Action™
Bouncing Forward Not Back: Leading Towards A Greater Tomorrow
• Crises Are Always Opportunities • Seizing this Crisis for Transformational Innovation • Processing before pivoting • Giving up the Good Yesterday for a Greater Tomorrow • The 7 Steps of the Transformation Curve™ • Leading your teams across the Transformation Curve™
The Pillars of Pandemic Resilience
• Dealing with pandemic-driven fear, shock, and overwhelm • Accepting the new normal • Basics of resilience: sleep, nutrients, exercise • Next-level resilience: digital boundaries, recovery time, reconnection practices • Cultural resilience; safety, trust, ownership, purpose
Covid-19 As A Once-In-A-Lifetime Sustainability Opportunity
• The pandemic as a rehearsal for the climate crisis • Global risks and how to engage with them • The ingredients of a future regenerative business model • It all starts with business purpose • Transformational leadership towards regenerative capitalism
Dare To Care With Covid
• Why Covid-19 demands a new working alliance • Physical distancing balanced by social cohesion • Caring at the center of a new People Model • The new rights and responsibilities of the Covid-aware corporate citizen • Developing empathy, compassion, and warmth • The benefits of authentic and open-hearted leadership
Organizing For A World Of Social Distancing
• Modeling organization on how the brain works • Harnessing virtual and physical working • Empowering colleagues on the frontline with care and compassion • The inverse triangle: managers serving front-line workers • The best of both worlds: centralized and distributed leadership
All Nick Jankel Books
Now Lead The Change: Repurpose Your Career, Future-Proof Your Organization, and Regenerate Our Crisis-Hit World By Mastering Transformational LeadershipPurchase Book
Become A Transformational OrganizationPurchase Book
Switch On: Unleash Your Creativity and Thrive with the New Science & Spirit of BreakthroughPurchase Book
Spiritual Atheist: A Quest to Unite Science and Wisdom Into a Radical New Life Philosophy to Thrive in the Digital AgePurchase Book
Outstanding framework and powerful tools. A huge impact!
- | Oxford University
Thank you so much for your brilliant keynote, it gave our participants so much to discuss. Being in “Create and Connect” Mode seems to have taken a life of its own as a reference point for our leadership. Exactly what we wanted. Our CEO has quoted your thinking to the global leadership team: “Please don’t wait for anyone to tell you what to do or to give you permission and, remember, you as our most senior leaders hold the keys to our future success.”
- | Chief Marketing Officer, Tesco PLC
Inspiring and enlightening!
- | Microsoft
Would like to thank you again for your inspiring keynote. You inspired us to continue to work on ourself and lead the way. Also the value of the story tool was spot on! Thank you!
- | SVP, SAP